Monday, March 22, 2021

Between Association of Nigerian Authors and Wole Soyinka: A Definitive Position Statement.

 

BETWEEN ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIAN AUTHORS AND WOLE SOYINKA: A DEFINITIVE POSITION STATEMENT.


 

Again I find myself compelled to make my position clear to members of the Association of Nigerian Authors, and in unambiguous terms. To put it bluntly, the outright sum of my interventions in this situation has been – ZERO. I have not initiated or authorized any meetings. I have not participated in the crafting of any statement, proposal, plan of action, or document of any kind, nor authorized anyone to make such claims on my behalf.

 

I did come close to making a contribution when I was approached by Professor Bode Sowande to intervene in the crisis. My sole idea at the time was to bring everyone outside their “comfort zone” to a neutral venue – which also happened to have historic overtones for us in this nation – Aburi. Having enjoyed the isolation of that retreat for my recent work, it was a spontaneous thought that maybe ANA could profit also from its ambiance. Unfortunately – or perhaps fortunately for me , given developments since – that plan was aborted owing to the approaching Ghanaian elections. Since then, I have had nothing to do with any reconciliation or reconstructive agenda. I do not wish to be saddled even with any credit for eventual resolution.

 

This statement is made without prejudice to any initiatives to resolve outstanding issues, and the potential value of such efforts. However, even a literary organization whose base material is fiction and imagination, must learn to live by facts, however uninteresting. I have not been part of any motions or meetings of state chairmen or representatives. I have made no recommendations on anything.  I NOW DEMAND, AS OF RIGHT, TO BE LEFT IN PEACE!

 

Let it be noted also that I prefer to stay on  the right side of the law.

 

Wole SOYINKA

ARI, Kemta Housing Estate

Idi-Aba, Abeokuta

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANA CONGRATULATES AFRICA'S OLDEST WRITER, HIS HIGHNESS CHRISTIAN OTOBOTEKERE ON HIS 97TH BIRTHDAY

ANA CONGRATULATES AFRICA'S OLDEST WRITER, HIS HIGHNESS CHRISTIAN OTOBOTEKERE ON HIS 97TH BIRTHDAY. Dr. Camillus Chima Ukah, President of...